Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Mandsaur to Chittorgarh, Rajasthan

Left Mandsaur by 6:30am. Saw many disciples of "Ram" (Hindu God) walking by the roadside. They were on a pilgrimage to one far away temple. My target destination for the day was Chittorgarh.


Riding around 40km, it came to my memory that I had forgotten to take my id card from the lodge, I stayed at Mandsaur. I was in no mind to ride back to get back the id card and finally decided to forget about it. Sometime later, I got a call (luckily I had entered my phone number in the lodge register) from the gentleman at lodge. He said that he could arrange with a bus driver to send my id card to Chittorgarh bus station the next day. May be it's not time to lose this ID card, I thought at that moment.

It was so kind of the gentleman at lodge that he decided to send me the ID card, which he could have easily thought of not doing. Something I have experienced during this trip is that, people are very kind towards a person whom they never know. It's an interesting to understand how we react to strangers. At times we are defensive and at times very kind and ready to show the best of human character, "empathy".


Nearing Rajasthan, I could see the texture of soil getting changed; it was fine, dusty. I had to cover my face with a muffler and wear glasses to see the road through dust sprayed all around by the trucks passing beside me.


Soon I saw a huge traffic jam with trucks lined up in a long line. I had to make a choice; either to wait for traffic jam to get over or take the muddy side lane, which was not in riding condition, with dredges created by the truck tires, deep enough to take half of bicycle into it. I decided not to wait and take the side lane. If I could compare this lane to something back in Kerala, it's exactly like water logged paddy field before planting paddy seedling. Soon the bicycle, its derailleurs and my feet was fully covered with this clay. I didn't stop and continued  to ride. It was almost a 10km stretch that I had to pass, riding through  the clay and get out of the traffic mess.


I reached Chittorgarh before dusk. My legs and bicycle were fully covered with clay; felt like I came right out of a clay spa.

Tomorrow will be a day-off to cycling, firstly to give a thorough clean up to bicycle, secondly to collect my forgotten id card and lastly to explore Chittorgarh fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment