Monday, September 3, 2012

Barshi to Beed, Maharashtra

It was 7:30am and the rain had calmed down a bit. I decided to start from Barshi towards Beed, without waiting anymore for the rain to stop. Soon I was riding in heavy rain. I decided not to get off the bicycle this time and enjoy the ride in rain. I should say, riding in the rain was awesome.

Till 2:00pm, I had a job in hand i.e. tackle the pothole while riding in rain. By far, this was the most adventurous ride in my trip till now.

Jerky ride through the potholes, along with the lubrication provide by the rain, had made the rear rack strap slide down and it was now resting on the disc brake unit. Once the rain stopped I had to re-adjust the rear rack, for the second time in this trip.

20km away from Beed, I got my first excitement of a downhill ride on a bicycle. With speed more than 50kmph , I was learning how to tackle the turns in a downhill.

The downhill came to an end and I was greeted by two guys named Vijay and Amol on a motorbike. They had come to visit a waterfall over there. Being youngsters, they were very much thrilled after hearing about my trip.

Few kms later, I entered Beed town, took the road towards Aurangabad and stopped in front of the Bus station to find a lodge for night stay.Couple of guys on scooter stopped near me, asking to take a picture along with them.

Ahead I met a group of police guys. They helped me in locating the lodge and wished me good luck for my trip. Soon an auto-rickshaw driver gave me 50 rupees, asking me to keep it for "Chai-paani"(for tea/water). I denied to accept the money, but the people nearby said to take it. I guess they were thinking that I was a pilgrim and helping me is a good deed. 

Before sleep, I went to the hotel below the lodge to get some water. Had a chat with the middle-aged hotel manager, who was settling the account for the day. He asked me where I was from and why in Beed. I said about my journey and soon he shared his bike ride to north India during his youth. He offered me a tea and we spoke for some more time.

Riding through the villages today, one particular thing that struck my mind was the number of Swami ashrams on the way. Seems like villagers are very much affectionate to Swami ji's.

1 comment: