Friday, August 31, 2012

Anand Restaurant(Badami) to Bijapur, Karnataka

Had a disturbed sleep previous night with mosquitoes all over me. Woke up early and made my bicycle ready for the ride. All the restaurant workers were sleeping. Saw one lady in there and I asked her to say my "goodbye" to all those helpful guys.


Cycling began and I was feeling good, despite a bad sleep. The feel good factor didn't last long as I was cycling through the village with dogs chasing me now and then. Three times I cycled fast and one time I shouted at the dogs, getting fed up of them chasing me. Anyways, I escaped from being bitten by some mighty village dogs.


The roads towards Bijapur had plenty of downhills, which I enjoyed very much. I was around 70km away from Bijapur and the roads were just awesome. It was a "Wow" moment for me; beautiful sky and light green landscape with new plants just sprouting up after the rain.


I had parked the bicycle under a tree, having some bread and jam, while watching farmers working in the fields using traditional methods. As soon as I started from there, I rode the bicycle into a sharp wooden chip; got the 3rd puncture of the trip. A farmer passing by the road, asked "what happened and where I was going". He told me that there is bicycle shop 2km away, in case I needed help to fix puncture.

Heavy winds started to flow and I thought it may rain. Fixed the puncture quickly and started riding again.

Throughout my ride, I saw farmers working very hard from dawn to dusk. I wondered how much they would earn for their hard work. They are our food producers and it seems that we never think about them.


Today was also marked by a long bridge crossing, around 4.5km over river Krishna.

Met many local motorbike guys on the road all asking question like Where am I from? Where to? and What is the cost of the bicycle? . For cost of bicycle I gave them different answers like 5000/10000/30000/40000 ruppees. All the people I met today were asking the price of bicycle; hearing them, I thought how the paper money is ruling our lives. So for a change, now I started answering the price question saying: "I don't know the actual price, my friend has gifted me this bicycle for the journey."

On the ouskirts of Bijapur, two guys on  motorbike caught up and rode with me till Bijapur town. We had a nice chat and they told me to visit different places in Bijapur.

4 comments:

  1. Phewww ... you had the fear, but still you set out to achieve what you dreamed of... you started with minimal back-up, gathered lessons and essential stuff as you went. I was tempted to term all this as "ignorance is bliss", but now I can only think of "Power of mind is prime".

    All the best for your other dreams too ... just set out for them.... paraphrasing Gibran "If you desire something deeply, the universe will conspire to make it happen"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dibin, a great job, i heard about you from my classmate RAJESH CHANDRAN who was also happened to be your classmate too in college days. Kudos to you man, appreciate the courage in you to start of a journey like this. hope to meet you and ride with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Surej!...meet you in some future bicycle ride.

      Delete