Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hubli to somewhere near Badami, Karnataka

Got my bicycle serviced. The shop guys were thrilled to hear about my trip. They introduced me to some customers who came in to purchase bicycle. All wished me good luck and took a picture of me with the bicycle.


Started off from Hubli at about 11:00am. I could hear the bicycle tires making a buzzing sound, while  cycling  fast. I thought may be it will go away after sometime, but that didn't happen.  I had already cycled 12 km towards Badami and now decided to return back to Hubli to check if something was wrong with the bicycle tires. Reached the bike shop once again. The mechanic guy was waiting for me, since they forgot to fix back the front mudguard on the bicycle.He said there was no problem with tires and the sound is due to  tire taken out from the rim to fix the puncture, and will be ok after riding for a while. I took his words and started to Badami again.

Badami was about 100+ km. It was late start and I had already lost time by riding from/ back to Hubli. It was already 2:30pm and I knew Badami is out of reach for the day. Never mind, I kept riding and thought would stay in my tent during night.

It was getting dark and I was searching for a place to pitch the tent. Rain started once again and now I was in trouble being caught up in rain and not having a place to stay for the night. I stopped cycling and was pushing my cycle thinking that If I don't find a place to sleep, I will have to keep on pushing cycle until I was too tired to fall asleep somewhere on the road.

There were no lights on the road. Suddenly, in the dark, I saw a place which seemed like a garden to me initially. I went inside and was very happy to see a human face. I asked him if there is any restaurant near by . He said that this place is a Dhaba and will open shortly. I was instantly happy. My next question to the same guy "Bhai Saheb, can I pitch the tent in your garden and sleep for the night.". He said that he was a worker in Dhaba and I have to wait for the owner to get permission. Meantime, he suggested me that there was a bus stop, a few km away, where I can sleep.

I was waiting for the restaurant to be open. Few workers started coming in and were wondering what I was doing with a bicycle there. They could speak Hindi, so I was relieved. I said my story and they were pretty amazed. Now, I was the hot topic in their restaurant. I waited for Daal and Roti for about an hour and there it comes; it was soo tasty.

A kind guy named Mamath said that I could sleep in his house, but its bit far from restaurant and he will finish his work only by 2:00am. 2:00am until sleep, was beyond my limits as I was very tired and wanted to sleep soon. I thought of going to the bus stop and sleeping there. Mamath said that's risky and spoke to his manager. Met Sadiq, who was the relative of the restaurant owner, we spoke about my trip and he said that I can sleep inside the restaurant.

A teacher turned police guy, friend of Sadiq, came to me by hearing the story from others and asked me whether I was not afraid of riding bicycle that long, all alone. I said "Yes I'm, but have to fight with my fears to achieve my dream". He wished me good luck.

I parked my bicycle outside, locking it up with an iron pole. Took the sleeping mat and headed towards the workers room where guys having morning shift in the restaurant were already asleep. I went into sleep, thinking about how kind the villagers were to me, offering me a space to sleep without knowing me or expecting anything from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment