Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Haveri to Hubli, Karnataka

Yet another cloudy and beautiful morning. I started from Haveri by 6:00am. A farmer in the field asked me where I was going and I said this way straight.

It was a fine ride with good roads and scattered clouds. By noon it started to rain again and I was riding in the rain once more, getting all wet with nature and enjoying the beautiful farms beside the road.

On a uphill ride, I found some pieces of beer bottle glasses shattered on the road , just after riding my bicycle through it. And there it comes, got the first puncture on rear tire. I never repaired a puncture before, but had learned it by watching few YouTube videos. So this was going to be my first hands-on, fixing a puncture.


On the roadside, there was a bus stop and I took my bicycle into it since it was drizzling. Turned the bicycle upside down, removed the wheels, took out the tube and fixed the puncture. Some curios villagers approached me thinking what I was doing asked me something in Kannada. I couldn't understand what they asked, but taking the situation into account, I said to them "Tire..puncture.." by showing tire and the glass piece that I had taken out from tire. Watching me fix the puncture, they all were commenting something about the bicycle that I couldn't understand because it was all Kannada.



After the puncture was fixed, I continued my ride. Now, the air was leaking slowly from the front tire, but riding was manageable. Next stop is at Hubli and I knew Hubli had a bike shop, where I can service the bicycle and check the puncture too.

There was a police check post on the way and vehicles were lined up. Couple of police guys saw me and asked where I was going. Hearing about my trip,police guys were simply thrilled. Said bye to them  and I moved on. After a while, a truck came from behind, honking at me and stopped in front.  They truck guy gave me few oranges and said that the oranges were from the police guys, whom I met few minutes back. I thanked them and rode ahead.

Approaching Hubli, the rain got heavy. The trucks going beside me were splashing water on me and the bicycle. I decided to stop and take a break since I couldn't ride anymore due to poor visibility and rain hitting all over my face.

Reached Hubli by evening and asked for the bike shop address. One youngster was able to help me out in locating the bike shop. While entering the bike shop, the shop guys were all surprised to see me all wet, with  a bicycle and a luggage on the rear rack. I said to them that I was coming from Bangalore on bicycle and they were all surprised to hear that. Gave the bicycle for service and took out my mobile phone from raincoat pocket to note down their number. Oops...my phone was dead. I could see the water bubbles inside phone's touch screen. Seemed like the rain had flooded my pocket with the phone inside.I knew that's the end of my beloved phone. RIP my phone; you are a going to be a memento of my journey.

Took a room near Hubli railway station with the help of bike shop guys and had a good night sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment